Friday, November 18, 2011

Phalaenopsis Orchid in nothing but gel. Is it ok?

I was given a purple one in a long glass tube which just has the gel used for water retention inside. Looked great at first but the flowers died pretty quickly and nothing is happening since (about 2 months). My other orchids are doing really well, producing new flowers. Is the gel no good for them? Is it too wet? Is it too bright? If its the wrong environment for my orchid, what plant could I replace it with, as I really like the glass tube on my windowsill!!?? Also, what is the absolute best type of compost/mulch/medium to plant my orchid in. What sort of pot size do I need and how do I make them Beautiful!!!


I realise I've asked a dozen questions here but I'm guessing that I won't get many orchid experts so I need to cash in while I can! Thanks for your interest, whoever answers.

Phalaenopsis Orchid in nothing but gel. Is it ok?
Try going here:


www.kauaiorchids.com/ko/culture.asp
Reply:I've never seen an orchid plant in gel. I would think that it's getting too much water. The best medium to plant them in is one that is made just for orchids since the normal potting soil doesn't drain well enough for them. I like terra cotta pots because they drain and breathe easily, but there are also special pots for orchids that have holes in the sides.


No comments:

Post a Comment