Monday, November 16, 2009

How would I care for my Phalaenopsis orchid after the blooms are gone?

I have a Phalaenopsis orchid that has a spike growing directly out of the crown. The spike is actually a thin stem that is growing from out of the crown. It is unlike any of my other Phalaenopsis orchids. What should I do once it is through blooming? How will it grow after the blooms are gone? If you don't know what I'm talking about, you probably don't have the experience to adequately answer my question.

How would I care for my Phalaenopsis orchid after the blooms are gone?
Philippe,





Keep the orchid moist while it is in bloom and out of strong sunlight if possible. While it is in bloom, fertilize the plant as well.





Once the flowers have faded, cut the 'spike' back to the second from last node on the stem. There will be a 'ring' a couple inches up from the crown of the plant... look and you will see what I'm talking about. Sometimes a second 'spike' will branch out from the original. If it doesn't, cut the 'spike' back to the crown. Gradually cut back the water, allowing the soil/ media to dry out completely between waterings. Treat it almost like a cactus at this point, water only when it is really quite dry. Discontinue the use of fertilizer and increase the amount of light if possible.





In the fall of the year, begin to increase the watering and resume fertilization.





I hope that this helps
Reply:there are a few theories on this, one is that you let the plant's leaves (or fronds) die completely before you trim them (this is supposed to return vital nutrients back to the plant. another is to trim them after all the flowers have completely fallen (in some climates this can produce more than one bloom per season, though its rare) another is to wait until the foliage is dead, then remove the bulb from the ground and treat it as you would a daffodil etc. until early next spring and replant. a good horticultural site should be able to provide you with more pros %26amp; cons on each technique.


No comments:

Post a Comment