Monday, November 16, 2009

I am new to orchid care, and I need some advice!?

I've been an owner of a white orchid for a little over a month now. I have been watering it with distilled water when the bark (and I'm assuming some type of soil) feels dry. Inside the pot it is in is another plastic container that holds the soil and the roots. Whatever water it doesn't absorb filters to the bottom. Rocks sit at the bottom of the exterior pot. I water it until the water reaches the top of the rocks, just touching the bottom of the plastic container. Recently the blooms have started to turn brown, wilt, and fall off. I need to know how to care for it so that it blooms properly in the future.





So..





- What should I do about the blooms?


- Any advice on watering it?


- What sort of environment do these plants thrive in?





Thank you so much. (:

I am new to orchid care, and I need some advice!?
The blooms naturally fade after a while, sooner or later depending on the species. Some can last three or four months. It will bloom again when it's ready.





Keep the pot bark moist. Dunk the whole pot in water about once a month. Hold it there till the bubbles stop. Mist the leaves every several days.





Orchids like indirect light and humidity. A north-facing bathroom window works well.





Mostly they like to be left alone. Don't move it around much and handle it as little as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment