Monday, November 16, 2009

The stem to my orchid died, the leaves are ok. What to do?

I had messed up the watering to my orchid, and as a result, the stem where the flowers grow from went brown and some of the larger leaves fell off. I caught my mistake before the whole thing died though, and have a plant with a huge, brownish stem, and one very healthy large green leaf on it, which I've been maintaining as best I can.





I want to know whether the stem will eventually regrow, producing new flowers, whether new leaves will regrow, and what to do to produce these results, or if the thing is pretty much crippled now and will never regain it's potential growth for flowers.





Thanks a lot.

The stem to my orchid died, the leaves are ok. What to do?
I suspect you have a Dendrobium or one of the similar clumping orchids. The stalk you mention is a pseudopod. It will leaf and flower once and then die back, to be replaced by another that will grow from the plant's base. The leaf you have now will fall off. This is normal. Don't cut it off though until it is thoroughly withered and dry as the plant stores food in there.

computer security

No comments:

Post a Comment