Saturday, November 14, 2009

Orchid growth question-- Keikis?

I got an orchid about a year and a half ago. It had one flowering stem which wilted away about 9 months ago. Since then I've repotted the plant (in a combination of 'orchid soil'-- stones and bark, and the moss it originally came in) and it's been growing keikis (it has five of them that I can see). I originally thought these were buds of a flowering stem and just were poorly cared for, but then the plant was left in the window of my dorm over winter break and now it has a real stem forming. Should I do something differently to care for my plant? Cut off some of the keikis or fertilize the plant?

Orchid growth question-- Keikis?
It would help to know what kind of orchid you have.





Dendrobium will put out keikis along an older main stem. Phals will also produce keikis, but these appear on a flower spike in place of buds.





You can remove these keikis as soon as they have 3 or more roots of their own and pot them in orchid seedling mix. They make nice little gifts.





See source for comprehensive information on different kinds of orchids.
Reply:You can fertilize the plant and remember, never water it with Chlorinated Water.


No comments:

Post a Comment