Saturday, November 14, 2009

Phalenopsis orchid...it bloomed now what?

I received a phalenopsis orchid as a gift. It was blooming, and now all the blooms have fallen off and the very top section is dry and brown. What do I do? Should I cut the plant back a little (it has leaves on the bottom, but the green stalk is pretty tall)? Will the brown part fall off on its own? Any advice on phalenopsis would be appreciated.

Phalenopsis orchid...it bloomed now what?
I leave my stems on my orchids, they bloom whether you cut the stems or not. If the stem is dying back, check the substrate for dryness.
Reply:"When the last flower drops, cut your flower spike halfway down the stem. Continue caring for it and wait for a possible rebloom." This site, Beautiful Orchids, tells you to do this and also how to care for your new plant. Good luck with your new orchid I hope it does well for you.

cassell

No comments:

Post a Comment