Friday, May 21, 2010

Ahhhh... Please help with my Pagoda Green Cymbidum Orchid!!!?

I have recently received an orchid plant as a gift for Vietnamese New Year that’s coming up as a “good luck” thing. After many hours of research, I’ve realized that I had received a Pagoda Green Cymbidium. It is beautiful, but I couldn’t find many websites on how to take care of this particular orchid. It is a standard size, over two feet tall (near 3 feet), fully in bloom. It looks crowded in its little black plastic pot that it is in now. There are six pseudobulbs in the 6-8” diameter pot now. The leaves are also blacked at the tips. Even the edges of the flowers are blackened. Can I just clip those blacked tips off? The flower stalks feels very weak and flimsy, so there are these metal sticks/wires holding them up. Is there anything I can do to help my poor orchid? Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ahhhh... Please help with my Pagoda Green Cymbidum Orchid!!!?
I have 2 similar orchids and have found them quite easy to take care of. They are in a south-facing window to get sun and simply need watering after they dry out. Put it in your sunniest window. You can definitely clip any dry or brown leaves/flowers and it won't hurt the plant. It needs to stay squashed in the pot, called "pot bound" to make sure it produces flowers instead of roots. When it finishes flowering and they drop off, cut off the stem. It will produce more in a short time. You should continue to support the stems, but some will grow more sturdy and not needs sticks. You can also cut off some flowers and float them in water or even your bathtub if you want to feel exotic.


No comments:

Post a Comment