Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rolly Polies in my mom's Cymbidium orchid pot! Help?

I bought my mom a potted Cymbidium orchid for mother's day. It was the healthiest one they had from past knowledge of plants. The leaves are the perfect color green and all seems well. Well, some tips of the leaves started turning brown, so that means salt build up in the pot right? Ok, we took it outside, hosed out the pot and let it drain for a few hours. I brought it back inside and sat it on the kitchen cabinet for further draining. I looked over and my brother told me that there were "baby june bugs" in the pot. They were rolly polies to me. There were about 5 laying beside the pot, and i saw several more through the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot. Is it going to kill the plant? Is there anything I can do to rid the plant of these critters?

Rolly Polies in my mom's Cymbidium orchid pot! Help?
The roly polies should not be a problem. They eat decaying matter and won't eat the orchid. In fact, they may roam away from the plant and dry out. Since they are harmless, you can just pick up any you see and put them back outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment