Friday, May 21, 2010

What are all of these weird spindly things coming out of my orchid?

I bought an orchid left over from Mother's Day. It obviously hasn't been well cared for. At the base of the plant, with all of the big leaves, there are all of these spindly things. I have to assume that they are roots, but I don't understand why they are growing up and out of the leaves. They appear to be dead- they are dried out and wrinkly and white-ish-green colored. Are they roots and what should I do with them? Should I cut them off? Should I repot the plant and bury that part (this would be difficult as many of them are growing up out of the leaves.)


Any help would be great!!! I know that orchids are difficult and I would really like to keep it alive. Thank you!!

What are all of these weird spindly things coming out of my orchid?
Take another look - maybe what you see there is either sphagnum or spanish moss used to topdress the container.





By your definition, I would say you have a phalaenopsis orchid. It is also possible that the plant has not been repotted for a while and roots are growing from the main stem above the growing medium.





If that is the case, repot and strip all the leaves below the highest root on the stem.





See source for care and other info.
Reply:We have orchids. I don't really understand you're description, but the plant grows shoots that bud into flowers once a year and afterwards leaves "sticks" that dry out.





If you do repot, remember the bulbs need to remain clustered and planted in wood chips, not soil. My grandma also recommends only morning sun.





Hope this is of some help.


No comments:

Post a Comment